At Belmore Road Family Practice we place a high importance on preventative care as being a vital part of your overall health care.
Preventative care takes many forms and it includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Lactation – Evidence shows breastfeeding decreases the incidence
of diarrhea, middle ear infection and respiratory illness in the first twelve months of life and reduces chances of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease later in life. It is important for immunity and general wellbeing of the mum and infant to receive human milk.
• Breastfeeding also reduces risks of breast and ovarian cancer in mothers as well as diabetes and cardiovascular disease just to name a few benefits.
• Women’s health checks – Pap smears for the detection of early changes to the cervix which can lead to cancer.
– Breast checks (including self-education)
Looking for changes and abnormalities in the breast tissue
– Blood Pressure, weight, lifestyle, diet
• Men’s health checks – Blood pressure, weight, lifestyle, diet
• Close the Gap – for improved health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
• Travel vaccinations
• Skin checks – detection of changes in skin and blemishes
• Health Kids check – for children aged between 3 ½ and 5 years of age and can include the 4 year immunisation. These checks are designed to aid in the detection of possible developmental or health issues.
• Over 75 year old health checks – designed to help maintain the health and independence of people aged over 75 years of age. Referrals for services can be made to help these people stay in their own home.